Jesus teaches us to “love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:39).
American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS) provides resources for cultivating leaders, equipping disciples, and healing and transforming communities. Through ABHMS, we serve neighbors in Puerto Rico and other places in the United States in long-term recovery after natural disasters. Indeed, ABHMS provides many ways to help our church love our many neighbors, near and far!
Each dollar given to the America for Christ (AFC) Offering increases the ministry and impact of ABHMS to serve neighbors with ministries incarnating Christ’s love, justice and compassion. Further, a portion of this offering (28%) will be shared with American Baptist Churches region for strengthening local church leaders through programming, pastoral search support and other efforts to help our local church thrive, especially in these times when North America is its own challenging mission field!
In 2019, AFC gifts supported the following ministries:
- “Rebuilding, Restoring, Renewing Puerto Rico” — rebuilding the island one church and one building at a time.
- Immigration and Refugee Resettlement — partnering with organizations that have resettled more than 100,000 displaced persons from across the world.
- Rizpah’s Children — partnering with agencies that provide support to children living in poverty.
- Scholarships and Emerging Leaders — providing scholarships to students to help ease the debilitating effects of excessive student-loan debt.
- Additional supported ministries included Disaster Response, Volunteer Mobilization, Prisoner Re-Entry and Community Outreach Ministries.
In 2019, ABHMS awarded more than $300,000 to ministries carried out by our mission partners. These are just a few examples of the impact our partners are making across our mission field:
- In the Cultivating Leaders and Discipleship categories, $8,400 was awarded to the Los Angeles-based Innovative Space for Asian American Christianity (ISAAC) to help fund its “Imagining A More Equal Pulpit” initiative, including a Gender Summit that addressed the challenges faced by women of color in ministry.
- In the Intercultural Ministries category, $15,300 included support to Iglesia Bautista Betesda, Indianapolis, Ind., and its “Walking With the Immigrant” project, which has helped 60 families, including a family that senior pastor the Rev. Jaime Flores and a church brother accompanied to immigration court in Miami, Fla.
- In the Healing and Transforming Communities category, $115,000 included support to Heart Reach Neighborhood Ministries, Campbell, Ohio, for the purchase of mattresses above and beyond the 104 already delivered to prevent children and teens from sleeping on the floors, couches and piles of clothing in its three housing developments.
AFC 2020 empowers our local and national efforts to “love our neighbor.” Join in giving generously to this year’s AFC Offering and help us to reach our goal, as we partner with ABHMS to love our neighbors and share the gospel!
Follow this link for online donations, and then choose the pulldown option for “America for Christ”